Ask me (almost) anything, June 2022

Jun 20, 2022

World Day of Drought and Desertification was June 17 (you can check our posts on Facebook or Instagram).

To understand more about this topic, we have asked our consultant, Mark Allaway,  the following question:

“On an individual level, how can we combat desertification and drought?”

Mark shared with us that this is not a simple topic to tackle. To better address this issue, we are going to share a two-part article about it.

Today, Mark tells us about shifting our perception of drought and desertification.

“Healthy and productive soil is the key to a prosperous and fulfilling life in all countries. As we seek to avoid a dangerous climate future, we must avoid creating unproductive, arid landscapes where the soil cannot be protected and used sustainably.

Deserts are no fun!

Looking after our precious resources of soil and water is a key goal for our Global Tree Initiative (GTI) community. Being good, wise managers of our precious resources is part of the GTI story.”

Mark presented us with some numbers to illustrate what he has just explained:

“We mostly rely on the land for our well-being. Land, however, is only 30% of the planet.

The area of land suitable for growing food and crops is only about 10% of that global land area*.

Here in Australia, the continent is already 70% arid.  It cannot support productive trees or food crops.  That means the remaining 30% is vital for our national well-being. Of that 30%, only 4% of this area is considered capable of being used for cropping.Look at it this way, if I started with 100 oranges in my Australian basket, 70 would be shriveled up in the desert. Of the remaining 30 oranges, 29 would taste sour. Only one orange would be sweet and delicious.”

What Mark is telling us is that before we start our task of managing and improving our landscapes, we must change our understanding of the problem.

“Looking after the soil to grow that orange is the key to a healthy life. Healthy soil with vigorous microbes, adequate nutrients, and clean water used correctly is the answer.

Then, there are more oranges for everyone to share!”

Thank you so much for teaching us, Mark! It is important to learn what influences the healthy growth of our trees and crops.This way we can maximize our positive impact on the world.

Do let us know if you live in an arid or semi-arid area like Mark in Australia. Perhaps you have tips and tricks that you can share with the community, too. We would love to hear from you!




  1. Anrich

    Mark, what a nice article and analogy with the oranges!

  2. Kika

    This shift in perspective is really important. Thank you for bringing this up! We won’t be able to address today’s problems if we look at them with yesterday’s eyes. Thank you!!


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Other blog posts

A letter from our global director, Hans Timpner

As you are aware, it has fallen into my domain to run the Global Tree Initiative as the global director. So, let me first of all, thank everyone for the energy and effort that you have put into the success of this worthwhile cause.

Ask me (almost) anything, October 2022

One of our regional coordinators, Emma Defresne, and her husband Eric, want to make a ‘modest contribution’ to our planet.

Mewsings from Jorge, October 2022

Things are always changing, even though we don’t want them to. I know I like my habits and routines. Yet, I am coming to know that nothing stays the same forever.

Food for Thought, October 2022

October is Vegetarian Awareness Month, an excellent opportunity to look back and wrap up the last 12 months.

Ask me (almost) anything, September 2022

In August’s article, Mark responded to Ralph and Jeremy’s question about planting in the tropics. This month, Mark elaborates more on their question on how to start a nursery.

Mewsings from Jorge, September 2022

I have come to understand this: Patience gives you the power to be stronger mentally and emotionally. This is all good stuff for me to learn.

Food for Thought, September 2022

There is so much to say and learn about food waste! So, I dedicating this month’s blog article to delve a little bit deeper.

Heroes of the Gardens

Saturday, August 20 was World Honey Bee Day. I wish that we return the kindness of honeybees. Not only on one special day but every single day.

Ask me (almost) anything, August 2022

Team members, Jeremy and Ralph, are interested in doing a tree-planting project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.They need more information about planting in the tropics.

Mewsings from Jorge, August 2022

After all of that travelling, Mama was off again! I did not want her to go. She is my whole world, although I do like hearing about her experiences when she comes home.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our newsletter. Stay tuned to all our news. There is more to come.

You have Successfully Subscribed!